Blog

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

4 days ago

Soxophoneplayer

One of my hiking/snowshoeing trails on the farm. This is a Runkeeper tracking played back on map view. There is a mapping error in the lower that must be from my GPS hitting a blind spot. What shows as two separate trails is actually one part that is repeated coming/going.

Corrected route via photoshop is the second image. The red numbers on that map are the sequence I normally walk in. Total length of this route is about 5.2 km.
... See MoreSee Less

One of my hiking/snowshoeing trails on the farm. This is a Runkeeper tracking played back on map view. There is a mapping error in the lower that must be from my GPS hitting a blind spot. What shows as two separate trails is actually one part that is repeated coming/going.

Corrected route via photoshop is the second image. The red numbers on that map are the sequence I normally walk in. Total length of this route is about 5.2 km.Image attachment

6 days ago

Soxophoneplayer

In each of my sock knitting work areas I keep 2 clothespins - one darker and one lighter. I use the darker one to hold the tail of my scrap yarn, and the lighter one to hold my working yarn.

I'm not a really superstitious dude, but I can say with certainty: if I use the wrong clothespin, the yarn gods will be enraged and whatever sock is being knit will be DOA.
... See MoreSee Less

In each of my sock knitting work areas I keep 2 clothespins - one darker and one lighter. I use the darker one to hold the tail of my scrap yarn, and the lighter one to hold my working yarn.

Im not a really superstitious dude, but I can say with certainty: if I use the wrong clothespin, the yarn gods will be enraged and  whatever sock is being knit will be DOA.

Comment on Facebook

I love having little “systems” And I understand about those yarn gods ...not being happy!🥴

I use hemostats 🙂

View more comments

1 week ago

Soxophoneplayer

Looking ahead to St Paddy's Day I'm knitting some O'Koigu this morning in semi-solid colourway KPM 1535.

I've just finished the 1x1 cuff in picture and about to start the stockinette leg. You can see my little spool of green wooly nylon at the ready to be incorporated into the heels and toes.

This pair will be a size Medium+ which is about Mens 9-10 (vs my Medium Mens 7-9 or Large 10-12). For this gauge of yarn I do 5 or 6 rows more (about 1/2") on the foot than Medium, and I set my tension half way tighter between my Medium and Large settings.
... See MoreSee Less

Looking ahead to St Paddys Day Im knitting some OKoigu this morning in semi-solid colourway KPM 1535.

Ive just finished the 1x1 cuff in picture and about to start the stockinette leg. You can see my little spool of green wooly nylon at the ready to be incorporated into the heels and toes.

This pair will be a size Medium+ which is about Mens 9-10 (vs my Medium Mens 7-9 or Large 10-12). For this gauge of yarn I do 5 or 6 rows more (about 1/2) on the foot than Medium, and I set my tension half way tighter between my Medium and Large settings.

2 weeks ago

Soxophoneplayer

At the Dye Pot. I had two skeins of my 75/25 wool/nylon sock yarn left over from earlier batches so I decided to make and break a small batch of Kelly Green, going for a gradient effect instead of the variegation I usually seek when breaking colour.

I started by calculating how much dye to make based on my usual formula. But for this small lot I'll be dip dyeing and I don't want the entire length of the skeins to be dyed at full strength, so I split the recipe. And so I end up mixing 1 gram of sun yellow with 1/2 gram of turquoise.

I held the ends of the skeins outside the dye bath, holding the skeins vertically and lowering only the bottom end into the pot and kind of swishing things about while hanging onto the tops of the skeins out of the bath. The bath was originally very dark green(forgot to take a pic) but after about 20 minutes only turquoise remained.

So the immersed part of the yarn actually dyed a yellower-green than a kelly green since part of the turquoise 'broke' from the bath (because yellow exhausts into the yarn faster than turquoise). At that point I lowered the remaining portion of the two skeins into the pot and simmered them for about 40 minutes, until the dye was exhausted.

In the end, my gradient wasn't very complex - basically a longer dark end and a shorter light end - on a future I attempt I would lower the skeins at a slower rate into the bath.

Still, I'm pleased with the result as I wasn't sure what to expect.
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Happy Valentines Day, Jonah, from Maria!

View more comments

Load more